As request on our fanpage, here are the recipe
- 250g (8oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 4 medium eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- Ice-cream scoop (optional)
- 2 x 12-hole muffin tins, lined with paper cases
- Set the oven to 190°C or Gas Mark 5.
- Tip the butter into a bowl and beat it until softened. Add the sugar, flour, salt, eggs and milk and whisk until the mixture is smooth.
- Use a traditional-style ice-cream scoop, or spoon, to divide the mixture between all the paper cases.
- Place both muffin tins in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then swap over the position of the tins over and bake for a further 3-7 minutes, until both trays of cupcakes are a light golden colour.
- Remove the tins from the oven. Leave the cupcakes to cool in the tins for a few minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
Flavour variations: If you don't want plain cupcakes, then try one of these flavours:
- Lemon: Add finely zested rind of 2 lemons to the mixture, and use 4 tablespoons of lemon juice in place of the milk
- Chocolate: Use 2 level tablespoons less flour, and add 2 level tablespoons cocoa
- Rose: Use 1-2 tablespoon less milk and replace with 1-2 tablespoons rose water
- Coffee: Omit the milk and, in its place, use 2 tablespoons instant coffee, dissolved in 4 tablespoons hot water
- Now watch our video recipe for the perfect buttercream to go on top!