- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tsp powdered ginger
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger root, finely grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
- 1 cup fresh ripe mango, diced small
- 1/2 cup chopped lightly toasted macadamia nuts (optional)
Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, powdered ginger and salt.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the sugar, eggs and vanilla and oil until light and fluffy.
Stir in the grated carrots, mango, grated ginger root (and nuts if you are using them.)
Fold in the dry ingredients by hand.
Stir only until the dry ingredients are incorporated into the batter. Do not over mix.
Pour into prepared pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cream Cheese Ginger Frosting
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- ½ cup butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp candied ginger (packed in syrup), very finely minced
- 5 cups icing sugar (powdered sugar)
- 1-3 tbsp milk (or ginger syrup from the candied ginger); only enough to bring the frosting to a spreadable consistency
Mix all the ingredients together and beat very well until smooth and fluffy. Add the milk or ginger syrup last to get the frosting to the right consistency.
If you can't find candied ginger, simply simmer gently 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water with peeled ginger slices in a small saucepan for about 20 minutes or until the liquid thickens to a cleat syrupy consistency. Watch this carefully, If you ignore it , it can burn quickly
credit to : nlrockrecipes.com